-
September 10th, 2005, 02:48 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I posted about this on the dream doll thread and really got me thinking so I decided to ask for everyone else's thoughts.
First, yes I know Josefina is Catholic (and from the way AG often sees things, thats probably enough diversity) but she is also hispanic and EVERYONE in that culture practiced that religion. They were not fragmented into the two major Christian groups like most of America was and still is to some extent today.
Personally, I think AG should show how unfairly Catholic immigrants from Ireland, Poland, Italy and other European countries were treated in the late 1800s. I think there is still animosity between these two groups today. Ive met more than a few people who jump on me for being Catholic and ride me about the Pope and other nonsense. Most of which they dont even understand but are assuming. Such as, all Catholics listen to everything the vatican says and worship Mary evey Sunday. Its ridicoulus and ignorant. And I wish AG would recognize this with a hisorical from that period. It might also breakdown stereotypes because when it comes to religion, people tend to just follow whatever their parents say.
Before people start making assumptions about me. I want to add that I was raised Catholic and went to catechism (sunday school basically) up through 8gr when I made my confirmation. But I do not consider myself a practicing Catholic as there are things I disagree with. However, I also disagree with Protestant religions. What I dont like is the ignorance and stereotyping Cathlolics recieve even today.
Any thoughts out there on this issue?
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ September 10, 2005 12:02 PM: Message edited by: *shortie* ]</font>
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks